Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Hans Bellmer..

Those turn of the century German artists were just insane. It's not a surprise to anyone familiar with my work that Hans Bellmer would be an inspiration. His twisted drawings are something I could only wish to create... I especially love the way he renders hands (a personal obsession of mine). His work is also very often wonderfully perverted! I have to confess that I've just recently discovered this guy via a coffee table book at a friends house. Later I discovered that friend wrote her dissertation on him at Columbia.. so thanks Syd!Rad fact: Bellmer's work was declared "degenerate" by the Nazi Party, and he was forced to flee Germany to France in 1938.

6 comments:

  1. that is genius stuff, does make me feel pretty wuss in an art way

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're into Hans B.?? Wow-Very Cool!! Bought the "Behind Closed Doors" book a few months ago...

    ReplyDelete
  3. He seems to have influenced Mamoru Oshii in a very profound we. Look at the character designs in "Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence." And and copy of "The Doll" turns up in one of the scenes.

    ReplyDelete