Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Quentin Tarantino Roast

In October I was invited to take part in Quentin Tarantino's Friar's Club Roast. I was very excited because I've known Quentin since 1992, from the Sundance Film festival where he exploded onto the indie film scene with “Reservoir Dogs”. We've bumped into each other many times at film festivals and comic conventions.

But tragically, his editor Sally Menke died just two days before his schedule roast, so it was rescheduled in December. I was in town then, so I was able to attend.

It was held at the NY Hilton in their largest room. It was a very tony affair, lots of suits and celebrities – good food and a four hour roast. They stuck me at the furthest table, behind a very large pillar. But fortunately they had TV monitors all over so I could see the presenters. The dais fit about 100 chairs, I didn't know half the people up there, but they did have a great line-up. Samuel L. Jackson kicked off the ceremonies with some great gags, Rob Schneider was very funny, Steve Buschemi didn't talk unfortunately, Michael Madsen was an incoherent disaster. Sarah Silverman was dark and funny. Jerry Lewis only talked about his telethons, and the beautiful Uma Thurman toasted Quentin with champagne from her expensive high heels with Quentin.

The only other roast I'd been to was my own ten years ago at Caroline's Comedy Club, and this one was a lot of fun. It's better when you're not roasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment