Monday, August 24, 2015

SVA's After School Special Show, September 18

As many of you know, when I first moved to NYC in 1970, I enrolled in the School of Visual Arts on 23rd St. in Manhattan.  My dream was to take a class from the famed Push Pin Studios illustrator and designer Milton Glaser - he was one of my heroes.  Unfortunately, once I had arrived at SVA, I learned that Milton's class was a special night class, and he personally selected his students.

Yet, I did have some great teachers there - Charlie White III, Étienne Delessert and the great draftsman and "Tarzan" artist, Burne Hogarth.

Over the years, I've kept my connection with SVA - doing lectures, classes and going to their graduation screenings.

I was very delighted when SVA bought an old, rundown cinema on 23rd St. and 8th Ave.  They redesigned the entire theater using Milton Glaser's concepts and art.  Well, it's all come full circle now - I've been invited to do a show there, featuring all of my newest animations.

So, for all my fans who live in commuting distance to SVA - as part of SVA's 2015 Alumni Film & Animation Festival's "After School Special" program, I'll be doing an exclusive presentation of my newest short films on Friday, September 18 at 8 pm.  This will include "Cheatin'" and sneak preview excerpts from two upcoming features, "Revengeance" and "Hitler's Folly", plus the NYC premiere of "The Loneliest Stoplight", narrated by Patton Oswalt.

Preceding those films will be the New York premiere of the new short film "Dime Crimes #34", featuring the work of 11 SVA alumni, including director Ed Hellman.   It's going to be a great evening of animation, all the cool people will be there.


Also, the show is FREE!  That's right, all you students, it's a free event, open to the public - and everyone who comes will get a free Bill Plympton sketch.  So mark your calendars and bring your friends to the SVA theater on Friday, September 18.  I'll see you there!

For a full list of SVA's Alumni Film & Animation Festival events, please visit:
http://svatheatre.com/events/alumnifest2015/


--Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment