Friday, February 3, 2017

Academy Award Nominations 2017

On another topic, they announced the nominations for the Best Animated Feature last week.  They are:
"Zootopia" - A terrific film that should win.

"Kubo and the Two Strings" - a beautifully-made film, directed by Travis Knight, that should have a strong showing.
"Moana" - a visual delight, but the story was too traditional for my tastes.

"My Life as a Zucchini" - with very untraditional stop-motion animation, but a heartfelt story.

"The Red Turtle" - by Michael Dudok DeWit, another visual masterpiece that proves that 2-D animation can compete with CGI for gorgeous style.

I was disappointed that some films didn't make the cut, like "The Little Prince", directed by Mark Osborne, "Phantom Boy", directed by Jean-Loup Felicioli and Alain Gagnol, and my favorite "Sausage Party", directed by Greg Tiernan and Conrad Vernon, and co-written and co-produced by Seth Rogen.  But I had no illusions that this would be nominated, still, it's a breakthrough film.

As for the short animated films, I'd put my money on "Pear Cider and Cigarettes", written and directed by Robert Valley.  It's a masterpiece! 
I'll be back next week with a report on my trip to L.A. and the Annie Awards!

--Bill Plympton

No comments:

Post a Comment