Wednesday, February 1, 2017

L.A. trip - Annie Awards

What's Up?  Yesterday I flew out to Hollywood for a week - the main purpose for the trip is to attend the Annie Awards (animation's version of the Oscars) where my short commercial for Ford, produced by J.J. Sedelmaier, is in competition.  The commercial is called "The Importance of Paying Attention: Teeth" and warns about the dangers of distracted driving. 

I love the Annies, because I get to chat with all the hoi polloi in the cartoon business - I often get to meet people this way who I've long admired, and also get real insight into the animation industry - since I'm a real outsider in the business.

Also, now that "Revengeance" is doing the festival circuit, it's an opportunity to maybe do some deals that could benefit the release of this film. 

I don't expect to win a prize at the Annies - my Ford commercial is micro-budget compared to the competition.  The others look like they have million-dollar budgets.  But that's OK, it's fun to just be in the limelight momentarily.

Also, while I'm in L.A. I've scheduled some MasterClass presentations at Disney, USC and Dreamworks.  I guess they're mystified over how I'm able to survive as an independent animator, outside of L.A.

I want to show them some of my new projects - "No Snow For Christmas" (sung by Maureen McElheron), "Cop Dog" (it's almost finished) and of course, the piéce de resistance, a clip from "Revengeance".   

I'll post some pictures from the trip next week, and later this week I'll weigh in on the Oscar nominations for animated features and shorts.  Talk to you then!

--Bill Plympton

No comments:

Post a Comment